I’m doing a little lyric video for the title track from Demon. So of course, I’ve got a load of footage of insects.
One of my favourite things to do at a gig is create little moments where at least one person in the audience has to do a little double-take and think ‘wait, what is this song about?’. Song titles like ‘Some of the creatures…’ songs about replacing your body parts with mechanical alternatives, or in the case of Demon, the lyrics in the middle section:
And the strange things that you think you’ve eaten
Are playing on your mind
The many, many-legged creatures
That you scratched through leaves to find.
This is one of several lyrical images in the album that I think are really affecting. Others include:
- Tentacles writhing through your hair in a romantic embrace (don’t tell me you haven’t thought about that before).
- Attaching message after message to balloons and sending them off into the air in a desperate attempt to find some sort of human interaction.
- Forcing sour-sweet rotting things into your mouth while you huddle at the bottom of a cave.
- LIttle creatures with teeth and tails cavorting about the place while you’re asleep.
- A pug-ugly serial killer parading his drugged-victims in front of others to convince the world he’s attractive really.
It’s a happy little album is what I’m saying.
While we’re waiting for the final album to be released, here’s an acoustic version of the title track:
Demon is out on 26th July, but if you want to hear some of the songs in advance you can do one of the following:
- Click the ‘Join the Demon List’ button up the top of this website.
- Click here to meet my irascible facebook messenger bot the Slatterbot